Thursday, March 25, 2010

Getting my hands dirty



Last year I had my first foray into gardening. 

Well, I really can't call what I did actual gardening.  However, I did go to Lowe's, buy the cheapest (but nicest) looking flowers as well as bags of dirt, dug holes in the ground, and managed to keep everything alive until the end of the season.  Also, my very sweet neighbor had a few extra tomato plants as well as a little pepper plant that were also stuck in the dirt and somehow managed to stay alive. 

It felt really good to walk out the back door to snag a couple of sun-warmed and very sweet tomatoes for my salad.

Lately, I've been thinking about an actual garden.  Like, the real deal digging stuff up and planning it out on graph paper kind of garden.  I have the perfect space for a garden in the back yard, and anything that lessens the amount of lawn that I have to mow is very appealing.  Admittedly, I have no idea what I am doing but the plan is to do some research and ask for pointers from friends, choose the veggies prudently (I've been told several times to only get a couple zucchini plants), and then dig up the yard, make some holes, and stick some little plants in the dirt.

I want to be able to walk out the back door and snag an entire salad from my garden.

This may end in disaster. 

Or it may end in something kind of amazing.

We'll see how this goes. 


Photo courtesy of Sunstone Herb Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment