Sunday, June 20, 2010

I left my heart in PDX




Last week right at this time my friend Jason and I landed in Portland, OR.  We'd planned the trip back in late March and it seemed like it was never going to happen.  We went to visit our dear friend Tex who graciously put us up for the weekend.  This is the third year that she's lived in Portland and this was my third trip out to see her.

In short, it was the best trip yet.  It went a something like this.

THURSDAY
Jason and I land at PDX and Tex arrives.  We immediately meet up with our friend Shayla (you can find her here and here and also here), drop her off at the Doug Fir, and then off to Rotture for a little dancing at Soul Night.  Finally, home for some chill time and rest.

FRIDAY
Tex was working until 1pm so Jason and I had plenty of time to walk around downtown.











Tex got back from work and we immediately packed up the car to head to the coast.  Before we left the city we had some amazing Korean BBQ tacos from Koi Fusion (thank you Brad for the recommendation!).  They were amazing and complete with a Korean ahjumah cooking the food, large visor and mom perm to boot.

We got on the road and had an amazing adventure on the coast.  We stayed in Manzanita in a motel that was right on the beach and had three queen size beds - one for each of us.  I somehow managed to build a fire on the beach using a Dagoba chocolate bar wrapper and wood from the beach.  We gave the fire to a group of people that had come down to beach as we were about to leave.  They were pretty happy about it.  We were more than happy to share.















 SATURDAY
We woke up early in the morning, took a walk down to the beach with our coffees, and grabbed sandwiches and water for our hike.  We hiked in Oswald West State Park and reached the end of the trail in about an hour and a half.  Even though the trail was muddy in some parts due to the prior weeks of rain it led us out along the coast overlooking Smuggler's Cove and took us to the top of a mountain that had gorgeous views.  We heard sea lions barking and saw one swimming in the ocean.






We got back to the city after a very scenic route home (totally twisty nearly the entire way back).  We got ready to get back out and had a crazy family style dinner at a Moroccan restaurant called Marrakesh.  We met many of our friends there, including my friends Rob and Katie and their daughter Annie.



After dinner, Tex, her ladyfriend Anna, Jason and myself took a walk around Tex's neighborhood to try and catch another sunset.  Then to bed to rest up for our last day in Portland.


                                        

SUNDAY
We woke slept in a bit and headed downtown to meet up with my dear friend Danny at the Ace Hotel for some coffee.  Then we walked the city doing some shopping.  Later we went to Shayla's place to hang out and then met up with friends for dinner.  After dinner, back to the Ace Hotel for some photo booth pictures and then finally back to the house.  We packed up and got ready for the next day because we had to catch the train to the airport at 5:15 in the morning.


















I love Portland.  I love my friends.  I feel so lucky that I'm able to travel and see those that have moved far away.  Traveling is good for my soul.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, looks like you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the very best time. No hangovers and every single moment filled with something totally great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a chunk of heart remaining on the west coast. My best friend, Dr. Will, and his wife were just over last night during a brief trip home, telling tales of Portland that made my wife and I envious. Glad to hear you enjoyed Koi Fusion. Is that Cannon Beach I see in your one picture with the big rock off the beach? We stayed out there one night last summer on our Seattle/Portland vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stayed in Manzanita! It was great. Three years baby and we are making the move out west. No joke. Come with us!!!

    ReplyDelete