Monday, January 3, 2011

How does it work?

Picture courtesy of Chantry Cheav

I had such a lovely holiday.  The New Year's celebration was no exception.  Every year J's friends get together for a New Year's Eve party.  Besides weddings, it's pretty much the only time these childhoods friends get to see each other.  I finally got to meet J's friends and they got to meet my brother, sister-in-law, and our crew of friends. 

Besides the usual boozey and snacky items, J brought some Magic Fruit tablets.  These tablets are made of a West African berry.  This berry causes sour things to taste sweet.  These extracts are made of the berries and seriously, it worked.

Picture courtesy of Chantry Cheav

J and I got busy chopping up various fruits, dumping out some sour candies, and popping open a couple cans of 4 Loko (yes, I know - totally ridiculous but we were curious).  We passed around the tablets (someone said "These are like drugs for grown-ups") and, per the instructions, swirled them around in our mouths until they were fully dissolved.

Lemon and lime wedges were sucked and consumed without a second thought.  The grapefruit tasted incredibly delicious and not tart at all.  Some of us tried sips of balsamic vinegar and it was surprisingly delicious.  J and I tried the 4 Loko (again, I know - ridiculous) and it tasted, well, kind of good.

It was pretty incredible.  

The tablets' effects last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on the individual.  How well the tablets work also varies from person to person.  

Here's a little history on Magic Fruit and a New York Times article about a Magic Fruit party.  Additionally, here's some video footage from the Magic Fruit party the Times covered.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey lovely. It sounds like you had a fabulous party. I've been hearing about this magic fruit but have not known anyone to try it out until now. Also, what a great idea for a party :)

    I'm in the process of packing now. I've never had to pack so much stuff in my life. I was always a poor college student moving up to this point and never had more than a car load of stuff to move.

    When I moved back to the states from New Zealand, I sold an entire apartment full of stuff and came back with only two suit cases. Those were much simpler times.

    Enjoy the new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move babe!!! I'm really excited for you guys. Also glad that you got back from your whirlwind European adventure safely and soundly. Happy new year to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete