Friday, February 25, 2011

The Weekend

Portland last year, at Tender Loving Empire

It's supposed to be warm and sunny on Saturday and I can hardly wait.  I am going to take it easy until then so that I continue to feel normal enough to be able to do some fun stuff.

Saturday, the Park Slope Methodist Church is having their annual book sale.  My friends are part of this church and it's a really lovely congregation - diverse in all aspects (race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc) and I'm happy to support them.

Later that night it's off to 3rd Ward for Slideluck Bushwick.  The Slideluck Potshow started in Seattle in 2000.  The creator moved to New York and brought the idea with him.  Since then the idea has spread worldwide.

From their site:

"Every Slideluck Potshow is localized in that artists from a community present work to that community.  Side by side, we have very established, emerging, and non-professional artists exhibiting a maximum of five minutes of images combined with music, interviews, or other surprises.  The work of the world's most renowned fine art photographer may be followed by the images of someone who has never displayed their work publicly before - or vice versa."

$10 at the door gets you chili (at least one vegetarian chili will be provided), beer, and the slideshow.  Food and drinks start at 7:30pm.  The slideshow starts at 9:00pm.  Past participants at the NY Slideshows include Spencer Tunick (of which I participated in his Cleveland shoot years and years ago), Shepard Fairey, Julie Blackmon, and Elinor Carucci.

Later that night, Tom Tom Magazine is throwing a party at the NYC Ace Hotel for their 5th issue.  I picked up an issues of Tom Tom Magazine during my last trip to Portland.  It's basically (their words) a magazine for women who drum.  You can imagine I was pretty stoked to learn about them.  If I'm feeling up to it I may head over to the party.  

The lineup:

Sunday evening I have a lady date with L to see The Other Woman.  Excited for the movie and excited for some time with the bestie.

No comments:

Post a Comment