Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How Do You Reboot Your Life


Mao at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Not a lot of pictures from the weekend as I forgot my camera.  It was a busy weekend per usual.  Hung out at The City Reliquary with some friends for the latest installment of Friday Night Lights, followed by an amazing late night bike ride over the Williamsburg Bridge with two of my rad ladyfriends.  Saturday was filled with some serious crafting and a quick trip to The Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.  Sunday was a day at the Met and the Alexander McQueen exhibit followed by pina coladas on the roof and some lunch in Greenwich Village.  

Yeah, so lots of fun summer activities.  Pretty wonderful.

I also got a chance to talk to some friends about some things I had on my mind.  I read a post on Pink of Perfection where the question was asked - How do you reboot your life?  A pretty timely post for me to read.  

From the post:

"...Sometimes you crave more than just a little reminder of what you care about. You crave a reboot, a clean slate, a pressing of the restart button. And despite being someone who loves familiarity and routine––the ritual of coffee in the morning and pulling the sheets back at night––the desire for a fresh start sweeps in in a way that surprises me.

The craving for neat, tidy newness must in some way be a reaction to life’s messiness. When we are overwhelmed with the reality of what is––the constant email flow, the what’s for dinner question, the pile of mail on the desk––the prospect of what could be is enormously appealing. A fresh start, for sure, would make things more manageable, more organized, happier, lovelier. That’s the thing about the unknown: we always think it could be better."
The thing is, I feel that as lovely as our lives are they actually can be better.  I'm not saying that I'm not satisfied with my life because it is a very full and wonderful life.  I count myself extremely lucky to be where I am and am so thankful for all that's led me here to New York.  However, I am a planner.  I've always had some kind of loosely held timeline or long-term goal that helps me to challenge myself and to push outside of my routine and of what I find comfortable.  For a long time that was moving away from Ohio.  It took the better part of a year but with a lot of diligence and planning I was able to move, totally on my terms and with a good job in place.  The city is still new to me and I'm sometimes overwhelmed with everything that's going on, especially in the summer.  I'm feeling the need to focus, to really hone in on finding the path to a place where my passions are integrated with my work-life so that finally they are one and the same.  I guess my question is more than just finding a "reboot" but more about "What do I want to be when I grow up?"  
I had always assumed I would have that figured out when I hit my thirties.  Apparently that's not the case for me or most other people I've talked to about this.  The one thing that I understand right now is that by living here in New York there are so many opportunities for me to find the answer to that question.  It's up to me to take the leap and to discover what's waiting on the other side.  I'm so excited to see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. your beauty just keeps shining brighter, ms. kim. i am so proud and happy for you and marvel at how you continually impress and inspire me.
    scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love. You are definitely someone that I am very thankful for. xo

    ReplyDelete