Monday, July 25, 2011

What I Saw: The Muppets Exhibit at The Museum of the Moving Image

Mayor Bloomberg in Muppet Form

Sunday I met up with a few of my friends at the Museum of the Moving Image to see the museum's newest exhibit, Jim Henson's Fantastic World.  It will be on display through January 16, 2012 so you have plenty of time to make it out to see this amazing exhibit.  


I have never been to an exhibit where I have been around so many smiling and laughing adults.  Seeing the different characters that I recognized from my childhood in person definitely brought up some long forgotten memories.


I appreciated being able to see this comprehensive look of Jim Henson's evolution as a puppeteer.  It was really great to see the process by which these characters and fantastic worlds were created.  You are able to see the entire process, from the first original sketches to the finished props and puppets.



We were also able to see The Muppet Movie on the big screen at the museum.  Lots of people were singing along and laughing outloud, young and old.  Watching the movie as an adult was definitely a different experience, probably better as I understood all the gags and jokes that I didn't catch when I was a kid.  


If you have some time, get out to Astoria and see this exhibit before it's gone.  We got there around noon and it was not at all busy.  By the time we left a few hours later there was a long line for admission to the museum. It's $10 for admission to everything.  Just remember to request a ticket to the movie when you pay for your admission.


This is fast becoming one of my favorite museums.  I'll be back soon.

4 comments:

  1. I HAVE TO DO THIS!!! such a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! It's such a great exhibit and the permanent collection has a lot of really great interactive stations that are perfect for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what? i had no idea this was going on. must see the cuteness!! this is why us ny bloggers gotta stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you must go! And sticking together sounds like a good plan. There's too much going on for one person to know about all of it at all times (though we certainly try...).

    ReplyDelete