Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Move That Body

Before the Flying Feather 4 Miler

So, I used to be a runner.  Not a great runner but a runner nonetheless.  The picture from above was before The Flying Feather 4 Miler in Columbus.  I remember being really nervous the night before but I ended up finishing strong and at a pretty decent pace (9:27 - great for me!) and was rewarded with a medal and a bottle of wine at the end of the race.

Right around that time I had started experiencing some pain in my shins.  It would hurt when I started a run but the pain would eventually go away.  I chalked it up to shin splints and didn't think it to be too serious until one morning I woke up and could barely walk down the stairs to get the morning coffee going.  I made an appointment and saw a sports medicine doc and eventually had to have a bone scan.  The result - bilateral stress fractures.  This was due to a combination of too much running and being fitted for the wrong shoes.  I had to stop running, had a couple months of PT, and have since been scared of injuring myself in the same way.

I have tried to stay active (gym, biking, yoga, DVD's at home) but nothing has really replaced the feeling that I get from running.  I've had a few short stints trying to get back into it, but every time I felt that familiar soreness I got scared and stopped.  I've decided that I'm going to get back into it.  

I remember the first time I ran over five miles and the sense of accomplishment that came with it.  I remember the chill of fall cooling me down as I chugged along through my old neighborhood, running by landmarks I had only passed previously in my car.  I remember the exhilaration of flying down High Street feeling like I could run on and on.

I want to feel that way again.  I'm going to start running but am going to be smarter about it this time.  I'm not going to try and run through the pain.  I'm going to listen to my body, to cross train appropriately, and to build up my mileage slowly.  I decided to write about here because I'm hoping it will make me accountable and will push me to go for a run when it feels like that's the last thing I want to do.  Two miles down yesterday.  Two and half for tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment