Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Catching up

Edward Scissorhands at Habana Outpost

This weekend was a pretty busy one.  I went directly into the city after work on Friday and met up with a friend who was planning on spending the night at Occupy Wall Street.  We walked around, ran into some friends, and had several interesting conversations.





Yom Kippur service at Occupy Wall Street

The Yom Kippur service held at Occupy Wall Street was inspirational and moving.  They emphasized that the service was a place open to all people.  You can read a great article about the service and the organizers behind it here.

Saturday I headed to BAM for a late night dance party celebrating the 9th anniversary of Melting Pot Global, a monthly dance night with amazing house DJ's.  It was so much fun to go dance and get back to my old party kid roots (more on that in another post).  When we left late in the night there was a line of people waiting to get in.  Needless to say the place was packed and was filled with a really diverse crowd and the sickest dancers. 

Sunday I participated in Get to the Point, a 5K that's been held in Greenpoint for almost 20 years.  It was an unusually hot day with the high in the mid-80's which pretty much killed me.  I walked a few times but I finished the race and had a good time hanging out and taking part in something that made me feel like I was in a small town.  I love my neighborhood.

Later that evening I tried to get into the Brooklyn Night Bazaar but it just didn't happen.  There were two lines to get in that were barely moving, each over a block long.  This is all that I got to see.


I'm positive they'll be having this event again.  I'll just have to remember to get there early in order to beat the crowd and to actually get into the venue.  My friend and I ended up at Habana Outpost for dinner and enjoyed a screening of Edward Scissorhands.

Jon is due to come into town tomorrow evening.  We have a lot of fun stuff planned including a trip out of the city to Beacon, celebrating my birthday (eeks!) on Thursday at The Bell House for the latest installment of The Secret Science Club, The Creators Project in DUMBO on Saturday night (it is a free event but you need to RSVP on their site - all music performances are on Saturday night and the line-up looks incredible!  Florence and the Machine anyone?), and maybe a trip out to Long Island for their annual Oyster Festival.  More soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment