Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What I Saw: Chile Festival at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Nuit Blanche, and Birthdays!


Saturday was awesome!  I had a lot on my agenda and actually managed to accomplish all of it.  Usually when I plan out a day and evening with three or more things I end up exhausting myself somewhere in the middle but thankfully that didn't happen this time.

I met up with some friends at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden for the Chile Festival.  There were a few different areas set up all around the grounds with different themes.  One area had food, beer and live music.  Another had farmers and local artisans selling their chile peppers, spices, and various pickled things.  My favorite area offered chocolate and chile creations, including chocolate (natch), spiced hot cocoa, and a black and tan made from chocolate stout and chile beer.  Yum.

Admission to the garden was included with the cost for the festival.  It was my first time there and I really enjoyed walking around and exploring the gardens.

 


I met up with some friends at the Brooklyn Museum and we stayed for a little bit of music and salsa dancing.    I was eager to get back to Greenpoint for Nuit Blanche/Bring to Light Festival that was happening on Franklin Ave.  There were light and sound installations spanning several blocks by the water.  I'm definitely going again next year.

 



 This photo featured recently on The Greenpointers



Then it was off to Duane Park in the city for birthday celebrations.


My friend and her boyfriend's birthday are only a few days apart.  He has a standing gig on Saturday evenings at Duane Park for their weekend burlesque show so we decided to end the night with some drinks and entertainment.

It was a really lovely Saturday.  I'd say it was a pretty good start to this year's fall.


3 comments:

  1. Posts like these make me so sad that I left New York for an entire month! Chili festival? Chili beer? Pickled things? Jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, and I'm thinking the same thing about you! A whole month in Sweden! Amazing. How about we just keep each other updated on how fall is going and when you get back we can compare notes. :)

    ReplyDelete