Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Traditions

Pardon the non-holiday themed picture.
 
My family doesn't make a big deal out of Christmas.  When my brother and I were younger they did the whole tree + Santa + presents thing.  It was great but the Santa thing died when we were really young and it's all my fault.  One Christmas Eve when I was about six years old I woke up to go to the bathroom.  On my way there I looked down the hall to the living room and the sparkly Christmas tree and discovered my parents wrapping the presents.  Naturally I had to wake up my little brother to show him.  We whispered about our disappointment and dismay to each other for a minute before going back to bed, promising not to tell mom and dad that we knew the truth.  We acted appropriately surprised the next morning but it was really never the same.  I think we told them a few weeks later that we knew the truth.  I remember them being very surprised.  The tree and piles of presents starting going away when we started puberty and cash was suddenly more desirable than toys.
 
Anyhow, we may not have a Christmas tree or tons of presents but honestly I prefer it that way.  It's clear that we have made the trip back home to spend time with each other and we do, without any pressure to set the perfect holiday tableau.  However, this does not mean that we are devoid of holiday traditions.
 
Every year when we roll up the driveway to my parents' home the four foot tall light up Frosty the Snowman is set up right by the entrance to the house.  This thing has been with us for a long time, long enough that I remember being the same height as Frosty.  I also remember one year when I positioned the thing right outside my brother's closed bedroom door.  When he opened the door and was met face to face with this large unnatural round head with eyes of coal he yelled and fell back, obviously scared out of his mind.  Naturally I found this hilarious and, I'm sorry to say, am chuckling about it as I write this (sorry Danny!).
 
We attend Christmas Eve service together at the Korean-American church of my youth and adolescence (yup, former church girl) where the ajummas come over and immediately ask me (in this order) how old I am now, if I have a boyfriend, and when I'm getting married.  All this while I give my brother and mother pointed looks silently pleading for help. 
 
But the best part of Christmas Eve service is this.  My dad wears his burgundy velvet blazer and vintage holiday tie every single year.  I will share a picture before the end of the year.  It's the raddest holiday outfit you will ever see and for me, it wouldn't be Christmas without it.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention the rad socks your church gives everyone! I think I still have mine from like 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, the socks. We're too old to get those gifts now. Only for the college kids!

    ReplyDelete