Friday, January 6, 2012

Lucky and Amazing



These are photos of the great Monarch butterfly annual migration.  They migrate every year from the Rocky Mountains in Canada to Michoacan, Mexico.  Looks like a totally surreal and beautiful event to witness.

I have an affinity for these little guys.  Consistently in my life when I've felt deeply sad or burdened a Monarch butterfly will come along.  Once, after seeing a couple Monarch butterflies in the midst of a serious conversation with a friend, I told her about how I've always seen them when feeling supremely awful.  Without hesitation or skepticism she asked "Who do you think it is?  Who is watching out for you?"  I smiled and said that I didn't know.  I like to think it's my mom's father who passed away when I was five.  He was a hardworking businessman in Korea and again in New York City but his true passion was in ballet and the arts.  My mom has told me several times that I remind her of her father.  She told me that he would have been proud of my geeky performing arts inclinations.  Every time I see a Monarch butterfly I think of him.

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet. I think the same thing is true for me, but it's always a hawk.

    I knew Monarchs flew to Mexico but I didn't know it was Michoacan. My boyfriend's parents come from Michoacan, I have to ask them about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested to see what they have to say. Can you imagine growing up in a place where a migration of thousands upon thousands of butterflies is an expected annual event?

    ReplyDelete