Monday, February 20, 2012

On Being Mindful


I had a conversation with a friend on the walk back from another friend's birthday party Saturday evening.  She was telling me about how yoga and meditation has really helped her in the past couple of months.  I was interested in hearing what she had to say because I've been curious about meditation but the few times that I tried it I didn't really know what I was doing.  Years ago another friend of mine recommended meditation to me.  I was surprised that it was something that he was doing but he told me how much it had helped with relieving his stress and his daily anxiety. 

I don't think I'm a particularly anxious person but I definitely have been feeling a little off in the past couple of months.  I don't know if it's a seasonal thing or maybe just a result of living in this very fast paced and over stimulating environment.  I can't really articulate exactly what it is that I'm feeling.  It's just a mood that strikes every now and again that makes me feel slightly off and weird in my body.  Does this make any sense?

I went for a run over the Pulaski Bridge on a sunny afternoon and also took a couple yoga classes this weekend.  I kept thinking about what my friend had talked about, how being present and focusing awareness in one's body helped her to feel a stillness in her mind.  In my classes I really focused on my breathing, on feeling the deep stretches in my body and muscles that allowed me to literally release the tension that I was holding.  I'm not really sure what this is going to lead to.  I'm definitely interested in learning more about meditation if only to try it with real intention and see what happens.  However, I have so little time as it is to do everything during the week that I wonder when I'll find the time.  But I guess that's part of it.  

I wonder if one can meditate on the subway... 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Honey,

    I've been studying and (trying to) practice meditation since last fall. Without getting too in-depth, I didn't really realize the depth of my anxious moods until a lot of my coping mechanisms were removed after I had the baby. Then mommy brain was added on top of that. Then lack of sleep on top of that. You get the idea. I had to do something, and I didn't want to wean just so I could take drugs.

    I have some guided meditation apps and podcasts on my iPod, and beyond that I've been trying to read up. It is still difficult for me to quiet my mind on my own without the guidance. It has been extremely helpful for me to sneak 10-15 minute session in here and there, daily if I can. Trust me, I don't have a lot of time but it is so worth it. For one, it feels like I got to take a nap, it helps me feel centered and balanced, and it helps me feel like things are less crazy in general.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What have you been reading and listening to? Anything you could recommend? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read "Transcendence" by Dr. Norman Rosenthal, which is specifically about transcendental meditation. I also read that one because it has a lot of good "brain info" in it, and I'm really into that right now because of wee babe. The book I'm reading now is called "Meditation: An In-Depth Guide" by Ian Gawler and Paul Benson. One of those dudes was able to help cure his cancer using meditation. I have another one at home by the Dalai Lama that I haven't started yet.

      The podcasts and apps I have are done by Meditation Oasis, and I also look for (listen for?) sounds that seem to resonate with me.

      Delete
  3. Thanks babe - will definitely look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think winter makes me feel this way. I've been getting more and more into yoga but I've left out the meditation part. is it weird that I don't really know HOW to meditate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how to meditate either. Or rather I haven't really tried to meditate and feel like I need more information and some guidance to try it. I'm going to an intro meditation session in the city in a couple of weeks with some of my girlfriends. I'll email you the info if you're at all interested in joining us. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete