Friday, March 2, 2012

Blue Stars

If you are interested in purchasing star garlands please check out my Etsy store! There are many colors available and they are ready to ship.

More pictures on Facebook

I mentioned a while back that I was going to use this tutorial to try and create an ombre effect on the paper star garlands I was making.  I did a test run and it worked!  I'm pretty happy with the results, happy enough that I don't even mind that it looks like I murdered a smurf.  

It's a pretty easy process but a messy one.  I bought some RIT dye and eyeballed a small portion into a mason jar.  I sprinkled some salt in there and heated some water up on the stove.  Initially I added a little bit of water in order to create a concentrated color and then submerged part of the garland.  I had to push it down into the dye because the stars ended up floating on top.  I put more of the garland on top of what was already in there until a decent amount was piled on top but didn't push it down into the dye.  Instead I added more water to dilute the color and repeated the process until the entire garland was dyed.  As soon as I had pushed the last star into the dye I immediately took out the garland and hung it up to dry.


I jerry rigged an extra shower curtain rod I had been using in one of my closets in the newspaper lined bathtub for the garland to dry.

The dye that splattered on the tub wiped off easily with a magic eraser type sponge.  My hands, not so much.  I'm contemplating scrubbing them with that sponge.

I bought a few other colors and am excited to try them out.  I'll update again with the final results.

*Side note - do you ever have a "Holy crap it actually worked!" moment when a craft turns out exactly how you hoped it would?  I totally had that moment and maybe had a mental fist pump going for a minute.  Please don't judge me.




21 comments:

  1. I love everything about this! That fist pump was very well deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lindsay! Hopefully there will be more fist pumps to come. Ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is beautiful. Good job and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a ton of stars...However, I'm undeterred. That is so beautiful, it's dying to appear in my room! It's so...elvish...lovely! Five cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making those stars were definitely the perfect activity when I found myself wanting to stay in from what little cold and nasty weather we had here this winter in Brooklyn. Making them gets pretty addicting. You can do it!

      Delete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous!!! It would fit in my creative zone perfectly. And - it'll make a beautiful addition to your wedding decor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you attach the stars to the string?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. I used an embroidery needle to string the stars. It's bigger than regular needles and has a sharp, pointed end which makes it easy to poke through the paper stars. I used string that was on the thicker side which allowed the stars to stay in place after they were strung. You can also make knots on either side of the star in order to keep it in place if your string/thread/yarn/whatever you are using is too thin to keep it in place on its own.

      I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  7. I am very stunned by how beautiful it is - thankyou. Also stunned by the number of stars you made - approximately how many are in the garland? Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I would say there are a couple hundred stars on that garland. You certainly don't need as many to make something similar. There's about two to three inches in between each star. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  8. This is simply amazing, all I can say!
    I counted my lucky paper stars last night and I have about 4.000
    definitely trying this out with a few of them.

    Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope I get to see what you readers come up with after reading this post! Feel free to send me pics. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is THE BEST idea!!! It's my bf's bday next week and I'm going to try this tutorial as a way to decorate around his cake :) I love how your ombré stars turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know how your turn out.

      Delete
  11. All I can say is wow. I love how it looks in blue! Would love to try it out, but I wonder if I can make them so nicely and so many too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! And I'm confident that you'll be able to make them as well. It's not really difficult at all. Just takes a little time.

      Delete
  12. I love the ideaa! already starting to make my stars! I found a kit deep in the depths of my basement to make them! fancy that! haha but what kind of paper did you use to make yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply - I just used regular printer paper because that was what I had around the house. It worked out just fine. :)

      Delete