Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring Playlist


One of the things that I love about living here is the plethora of bands that come through while on tour.  When I lived in Ohio it would not be unusual for a group of us to drive two to three hours away to go see a band that we loved.  However, we would always be able to snag some tickets.  It's a different story here.  For instance, today I got an email notification for pre-sale tickets to Sigur Rós's upcoming show in Prospect Park.  I immediately clicked on the link and they were already sold out!  Frustrating to say the least.  I am looking into volunteering for the show but if that doesn't pan out I'll have to join what I am sure will be a crowd of people who will be sitting by the bike path listening to the music from outside of the venue.  (*UPDATE* - the pre-sale tickets were sold out but tickets for the general public go on sale this Friday at noon.  Fingers crossed that I can actually buy one this time...)


Thankfully I acted quickly and have tickets to see Tune-Yards at Terminal 5 and Mark Kozelek at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.  The shows won't be happening for months but in this town you have to act quickly and plan ahead.

Here's why I love these bands so much.


Sigur Rós
*In 2002 I saw them perform at The Wexner Center in Ohio and it remains one of the best shows I've ever attended.  There was a live chamber orchestra and they held the entire audience captive until the very last note was played.*



Tune Yards
*A few years ago my friend gave me a ton of new music to listen to.  I was cleaning the house with my iPod on shuffle and the Tune Yards came on.  I stopped what I was doing because I was surprised and stunned at the emotion and energy coming through this music.  They were coming through Brooklyn in a few months and as soon as the tickets went on sale I bought two, dragging my best friend along who had never heard them before.  We got to the show and their joy from making this music was evident through the entire set.  I wrote about it here.*


Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters)

*Mark Kozelek has the kind of voice that makes you want to weep.  It makes me nostalgic for Ohio and reminds me of some amazing moments in my life.  He rarely toured through Ohio so when I found out that he was playing in Indianapolis I grabbed a friend and we drove to see him play to a room of only fifty people in a very intimate gallery space.  Another one of my most favorite shows.*

No comments:

Post a Comment