Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It All Started With Charlie, and Then I Met Fred

Drumming my little heart out in 2003 - Photo courtesy of Kairsten Thies

All the way back in 2003 I was working on my second Bachelors degree and playing out often with my very first band.  I remember reading a magazine during a study break and coming across a photo of these amazing vintage dead stock clutches from Fred Flare, appropriately named the "Charlie Clutch" because of the attached script "Charlie" on the front of the bag.  I looked up Fred Flare's shop online and immediately fell in love.  9 years later I'm still using those clutches and the love affair continues.  I'm happy to say that I've been hired to work with them in their marketing department!  I start working with them next week and am really excited to be part of the Fred Flare family.  

Do you know about Fred Flare?  To me they are one of the first small business success stories, going from selling handmade cards and stationary from their bicycles in Soho to an e-commerce shop that offers an incredibly diverse, fun, and irreverent line of products.  You can read about their history here and their now shuttered brick and mortar shop that used to be just down the street from me in my neighborhood.  Thankfully they are still based in Greenpoint and all of their merchandise is available for purchase through their website. Check it out if you get a minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment