Monday, September 24, 2012

Cleaning House

Working the Fred Flare Sample Sale.

I've been extra decisive going through my clothes, shoes and accessories in order to make room for Jon in this apartment. Clothes are pulled and thrown into a pile if they don't fit properly, are unflattering, are out of date or haven't been worn or used in a year. It's kind of liberating. I'm just hoping that this momentum lasts.

As I've gotten older I've struggled with what to wear to work and what is considered "age appropriate" or whatever. I've always been a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl but as I stated to Jon yesterday, it's time to dress like a grown-up. Or at least my version of a grown-up. Do I know what that looks like? Not really but I'm making a promise to myself. I'm turning thirty-three next month and I want to be more thoughtful about my clothing purchases. That sounds so ridiculous and not at all important but there's something to be said about weaning yourself off the cheap clothing binges and investing in good quality clothing that you know you'll love and wear for years to come. My friend directed me to this book and it's on my list of books to read ASAP. I think it's important to be informed about where you spend your money and and to know what is driving this industry of fast and cheap clothing. I love a bargain more than anyone but looking at that big pile of clothing is making me think twice about my purchases. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you.

    No more Junior styles, cheap styles: disposable as kleenex clothing.

    I've been shopping resale, consignment, and "goodwill" shops in better partts of twon: I've found coveted label clothing for only 9.99. I found a beautiful leather purse for under ten dollars.

    It can be done, and it becomes exciting.

    Good luck to you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting! It's also really enlightening to see what I actually use in my wardrobe as opposed to what I've just been holding on to. I've been a shoe horse for all of my life but it's time to let it go.

      Delete