Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What I Saw: Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh at night.

This past weekend I flew into Ohio and the next morning Jon and I drove a few hours to Pittsburgh for a little overnight trip to celebrate his birthday and our anniversary. I had been to Pittsburgh several times before when my old band was touring but had never had the chance to really explore the city. 

Pittsburgh is a great city, full of historic buildings and interested architecture as well as a plethora of diverse neighborhoods. It's also very beautiful with numerous bridges and a huge waterfront all facing Mount Washington. Even though we were only there for a night we managed to see a lot of the city. 

After an amazing meal at Salt of the Earth we took the Duquesne Incline up and down Mount Washington in one of the original cars. Crazy beautiful views and a little museum full of memorabilia.




On Sunday we made our way to The Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh campus. It was like walking into Hogwarts.


The cathedral houses what they call Nationality Rooms. These are rooms that have been designed to represent the different ethnicities and cultural groups of Pittsburgh. It was pretty magical.




Then it was on to The Mattress Factory. My favorite part was seeing the Yayoi Kusama installation. I recently saw her exhibition at The Whitney and my love for her work has grown even stronger.



We finished our trip with a meal at Primanti Brothers. This sandwich is their #2 seller. Their top seller? Iron City Beer.



We drove back to Columbus and caught up with friends and family later that evening and then it was back to Brooklyn for me. I had a great time exploring a new city with Jon and can't wait to do it again when we head to Montreal in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment