Thursday, January 17, 2013

So This Is The New Year

Detail from my childhood bedroom.

I am in a weird transitional space and have been since right before the new year. I'm waiting on paperwork to be finalized to start a new job and have cut my full time working hours to only two days a week. This has left me with a lot of time on my hands.

I'm doing things and keeping myself busy but part of me feels like I am squandering this time. I guess I should be taking full advantage of the city while my days are free and the weather continues to be mild, right? But I'm happy spending these days in my neighborhood and apartment with the company of my husband and cat. Is that so wrong? I am happy to say that I have not turned into a hermit and continue to see my friends and to go out in the evenings. The hours of my social life are the same but the hours of my free time have expanded considerably. I guess that's the thing I'm struggling with. I suddenly have all this time and I feel (self-imposed) pressure to spend it on fantastic adventures in the city instead of boring things like laundry. 

You know, now that I think about it this has always been a struggle - to strike a balance between doing the homey-nesting thing and the adventurous city-exploring thing. In previous years it was making sure that I had enough down time at home to recharge and relax. These past few weeks it's felt more like the other way around. Is this a cyclical thing? Maybe I'm getting soft in my *old* age.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same feeling during my last year at Uni, I only had lectures twice a week and was living in such a brilliantly cultural city...yet when I wasn't working I mostly chose to either run, or cook dinner, or alphabetise everything haha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, plans have been laid for the long weekend and we're definitely going to be getting out of the house. Glad to know someone else knows what I've been feeling lately!

      Delete