Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sunday


I'm a little late to the game but I joined Go Mighty and added a few of my life list goals. This story was posted under this goal.

My entire life I've always been that person who always jam-packs her schedule. Being able to juggle a demanding job, relationships and friendships as well as a very active social life on top of several interests and hobbies was a point of pride for many years. As I've gotten older I've been able to recognize which elements of my life should be a priority but I still like to keep busy. Since moving to New York I've found that I wholeheartedly love exploring this city. The first couple of weeks after I first moved here I made a point to leave my familiar Brooklyn neighborhood in order to explore and to acclimate as quickly as possible to my new city. I did a lot of "New York" things and over the years have had some amazing adventures but I feel like there's so much more that I have yet to experience. 


One of my favorite things to do is to head into Manhattan and to just walk. It had been months since Jon and I had been able to do this and during brunch with friends in our neighborhood we got on the subject of the doughnuts from Doughnut Plant. To give you a little background here, Jon currently commutes to Columbus, OH two days out of the week. He takes an overnight Chinatown bus there and back (crazy, right?) and upon returning from Ohio he goes to Doughnut Plant on the Lower East Side, purchases a few doughnuts and then returns to Brooklyn to share these sweets with me. Our friends are die hard Peter Pan Donut fans but they were curious about how these other doughnuts would compare. I suggested heading into the city to see and after we payed the bill we did just that. We went to the Chelsea location that happens to be located right next to the Chelsea Hotel! I had no idea. We then walked all the way back to the Williamsburg Bridge and over to meet some of our friends in Williamsburg. Along the way we discovered a huge antique shop, a charming shop full of Tibetan wares where my friend bought a very large and elaborate lock in the shape of a fish and the frites shop that Jon and I love and that our friends wanted to try.
Experiencing the city doesn't always require a grand event or itinerary. This kind of weekend meandering is my favorite kind of exploring. I'm grateful that the weather gave us enough sunshine to be able to walk the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment