Monday, January 7, 2013

What I Saw: The Transit Museum


The first museum Sunday excursion of 2013 was to the MTA Transit Museum. It was full of kids and parents and once we got in my friend asked "Are we age appropriate for this venue?" Cue the sad trombone.


Aside from dodging the wee ones and their slightly manic parents it was an enjoyable experience. The first few exhibits showcased the history and construction of the New York City subways - lots of reading and lots of interesting old photos. There was a collection of portraits of several former Miss Subway winners. I think that was my favorite part of the entire museum.


"Still a babe" - I love that.

The lower level held several vintage subway cars that were open for people to walk through and explore. There were signs everywhere that said that it was still a working train station and DO NOT TOUCH the third rail.



It was an interesting museum but I honestly don't know if I'll ever stop down again. I was a little disappointed but I think that's partly because I had built up such expectations for the museum over the last couple of years. It is a nice way to spend an afternoon and is probably one of the more kid-friendly venues I've been to. Admission is very cheap, only $7 for adults, so even if you spend less than an hour there you don't feel like you've wasted your money. That's always a good thing in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment