Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First 5K of the Season

Saturday I woke up early to run this year's Eileen C. Dugan Memorial 5K. Last year Jon and I ran it together in less than ideal conditions but it turned out to be a really fun race. This year there was no rain and plenty of sunshine. A friend of mine joined me for the race and I found out that this was her very first race. We went at the perfect pace - not too fast so I didn't feel like I was dying but not too slow so I felt like I was being challenged. We high fived people all along the route in honor of my friend's High Five 5K that was happening at the same time in Ohio. 
We ran along the waterfront and through Brooklyn Bridge Park with Manhattan in the background. We high fived as many people as we could. Every high five usually came with a smile and some encouraging words. I think it made the race even more fun for my friend. We came upon the finish line and got some hugs from our significant others. We headed back to our neighborhood and had breakfast at our neighborhood diner. 
3.1 miles is not a huge distance. It's not even a quarter of the way for my goal for a half marathon but hey, it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment