Sunday, May 26, 2013

Baking for the Bride-To-Be

I can hardly believe it but I managed to bake three delicious desserts for the bachelorette brunch and amazingly enough they came out perfectly. But you guys - SO. MUCH. BUTTER. Yikes.
Pictured above is a strawberry filled layer cake. I make the layers using a recipe for something called Lightning Cake. The recipe made a cake that was the ideal size for one layer so I ended up making three. I made some strawberry filling (just crushed strawberries, sugar and cornstarch boiled on the stove for about four minutes), whipped up some strawberry buttercream icing and put that cake together. The icing job is admittedly amateur but the cake is going to be delicious.
I used Smitten Kitchen's Blueberry Crumb Bar recipe but ended up using less butter for the recipe because I ran out. I don't think anyone is going to be able tell the difference. This beautiful thing is sitting on my stove cooling as I type this. As soon as it's set I'm going to cut that sucker up and yes, wrap the individual pieces in wax paper as suggested. 
Not pictured is an obscenely heavy Three Cities of Spain Cheesecake that is chilling in the fridge. This is the first time I've actually used my springform pan and I finally understand what that thing is used for.
It's been fun planning and baking for this event. I used to bake quite a bit when I was younger. In high school I was the baker in the family and would often make muffins and cookies and even constructed a crazy layered Black Forest Cake. I distinctly remember a feeling of panic when the thing started to lean to the right because there was too much stuff layered up in that cake. It ended up being kind of a mess but no one cared. It was still delicious. I also went through a phase of cookie baking for the holidays but eventually I stopped baking. After a few years of living by myself it never made sense to me to bake a full batch of anything because it was just me. This weekend it's been really enjoyable baking all of this for the party. I'm done with the baking for now but it's nice to know that after all these years I haven't lost my touch.

2 comments: