Monday, July 1, 2013

Another 30 Day Challenge

I’ve taken yoga classes sporadically in the last few years but it’s never become a regular thing. I’ve always appreciated how relaxed I felt at the end of the classes but due to my natural flexibility and general upper body strength I have never felt really challenged or worked out at the end of a session. I thought of yoga as a time for deep stretching and meditation, not for cardio and muscle toning. Well, after last week I can see that I was totally wrong. I was just taking the wrong classes.
A good friend of mine convinced me to meet her for a yoga class. She’s been going to this studio in Williamsburg for the last few years and has been yoga-ing it up since she was a teenager. I stepped into the classroom a little nervous because I didn’t know what to expect. It had been well over a year since my last yoga class and this one was supposed to be an hour and a half long. The class started with the usual focused breathing and some oms but then the intructor started singing and the class sang back to her. That was definitely new to me. I didn’t sing because I didn’t know what the hell was going on. After the singing we started the class. At the end of that session I was drenched in sweat. The next day my arms, thighs and butt were sore, something I’ve only experienced with my normal cardio and HIIT workouts. I went to another class the following week and again, my body felt totally worked at the end of class.
I ended up buying a 16 class pass and have 14 classes left. I’ve decided that I will get to the studio at least twice a week and the rest of the time I will follow a podcast or video for yoga at home. I’m choosing to try this every day for 30 days because I’m curious to see what happens to me, not just at the end of the 30 days but throughout the entire exercise. Will I become more mindful? Will I continue to feel challenged physically or will I feel the need to supplement my yoga sessions with my regular body weight exercises and running?
I’m starting this 30 day yoga challenge today. Other than doing yoga every single day I want to make sure that each session is at least half an hour long. I’ll be shooting for an hour every day but let’s be real here – with my schedule as it is an hour every single day for yoga is not feasible. It’s a good goal to shoot for but if I can only get half an hour in I’ll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment