Monday, September 9, 2013

Pippin on Broadway

This weekend Jon and I met up with our friend Bobby at the TKTS box office and scored some great seats at half price for Pippin, one of my favorite musicals of all time.

I am not ashamed to admit that growing up I was a big old theater nerd. In middle school a friend encouraged me to audition for a show at the local community theater and amazingly I was cast as Snoopy in You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. After that I was totally hooked and threw myself into the theater. The same friend lent me videos of the original production of Pippin. I must have watched it four times. It was funny, dark and a brilliant production. To finally see a production of this musical in person was seriously a dream come true.

I normally hate going to Times Square but if you get there in the morning on the weekend the crowds are manageable. We all wondered why people would ever pay full price for a show when you can get tickets at half price through TKTS. I recommend going to them if you ever want to see a show. It's best to be flexible in terms of the times that you'd like to go and where you will be sitting but the box office attendant will work with you to find something that you will like. I also recommend getting there as early as possible to avoid the lines. Once you have your tickets you can take a short walk to Hell's Kitchen, grab some brunch and then head to your show.

No comments:

Post a Comment