Monday, September 30, 2013

What I Saw: The Global Citizens Festival at Central Park

Jon and I headed to Central Park on Saturday for the Global Citizen Festival. We joined nearly 60,000 other people on the Great Lawn to see live performances from Alicia Keys, John Mayer (meh) and *STEVIE WONDER*. Janelle Monae also gave a quick performance, one song on her own earlier in the evening and then another with Stevie Wonder. I nearly died. I love that woman!
So, obviously going to a show with a berjillion other people will prove to be a challenge. There's no way you are going to get close enough to see the people on stage. Space is a limited commodity and things like food and water will run out quickly.
It was the strangest thing to watch the show on the monitors because it felt like I was watching television but the musical accompaniment was obviously live. However, none of that really mattered once Stevie Wonder came on. Seriously, this man is amazing. 
Maxwell came out at one point and he totally had a fan-boy moment, declaring "I can't even sing. I can't believe this is happening right now!" Jon and I danced and sang along, smiling at each other while having our own "I can't believe this is happening right now" moment.

The show was free to all who signed up with Global Citizen. This organization is working to bring a collective effort towards ending extreme poverty in the world. This is done by harnessing online connectivity and action through articles, links to petitions and NGOs and also facilitating online donations to these organizations.

You can read more about the festival here and here. You can sign up with Global Citizen here and if you're interested, the footage from the concert is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment