Friday, October 4, 2013

The Bounty

Jon and I recently took over a friend's CSA farm share. This is our second week and I'm fast realizing that I need some help in figuring out what to do with the tremendous amount of produce that we'll be receiving now through November.

I’ve always loved the concept of the CSA (that stands for Community Supported Agriculture) but have always balked at the price of joining one. The cost broken down is actually a little less than $40 a week but the amount of money to buying an entire season’s worth of food up front always made my head spin. I was also hesitant to join because you do not get to pick and choose what comes in your  weekly share. You receive what the farm is growing at the moment and what is in season. Picking up this farm share at the midway point seemed like the right amount of commitment for the two of us. 

We've received a ton of produce - spicy arugula, crisp romaine lettuce, a crap ton of beans from which I made a couple jars of pickles (SO GOOD and really easy - the recipe I used is here), kale, apples, pears, tomatoes, concord grapes. I mean, this is a lot of food for two people to eat, right? I've been eating salads like a mad woman and researching recipes to put this food to good use. 

I now know that I love tomatoes. I used to hate them but now I know it's because the tomatoes in the grocery store are absolute crap, just mealy and tasteless. The tomatoes from the farm share are sweet and full of flavor, a totally different beast when compared with the ones I've been avoiding for the majority of my life. Washing and prepping these vegetables is a huge ordeal but it gives us a good chance to evaluate everything that we have to get through during the week. Two weeks down and six more to go. If you have any recipes you think would be useful, please share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment