Sunday, February 2, 2014

Happy Lunar New Year!

I had this past Friday off of work and I made plans to meet up with my coworker in Chinatown. She was born and raised in this neighborhood and has seen so many changes through the years. The one thing that hasn't changed is the celebration of the Lunar New Year. The big parade and celebration usually happens on Sunday, but I was more than happy to have a more low key day in Chinatown to experience the new year festivities.

The first thing my coworker did was serve me some durian. This is not a New Year's tradition but she had asked me if I wanted to try it and of course I said yes. My coworker and her father love durian. I liked it but the smell left something to be desired. 

We had dim sum at Ping's and while we were eating we were visited by a dragon! Every Lunar New Year the Dragon Dance Teams in Chinatown visit various businesses to bring good luck for the coming year. The owners and patrons give the dragons money in red envelopes and in turn the dragons bless them. I made sure to get my blessing from the dragon before they left.

We headed out into the streets and I got my hands on a huge confetti popper. I wish I owned a million of these things! We spent the rest of the afternoon walking and shopping until it was time for my coworker to go meet her family. It was a great afternoon and I'm looking forward to next year's celebrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment